Saturday 20 August 2011

Gailey Visit

As quite a few people have done so over the last few days I popped down the M6 to see the summer plumaged Red Necked Grebe that has taken up residence there.
Have called in here breifly before and have found it to be a great little spot, although I have never spent too long here.
Soon as I pulled up by the entrance I saw a Chifchaff calling from the hedge row plus Robin and Great Tit, always a good start to the days birding.
Speaking to a chap as I reached the cause way he told me of a Grey Wagtail hanging around and sure enough on the second pontoon there it was. Saw one of these on the round about in Newcastle town centre!
Walking along the path plenty of other birds to see Great Crested Grebes they seemed to have done well with plenty of chicks of various ages to be seen plus Reed Warbler calling from the waters edge.
Reaching the end of the cause way I sat down near a couple of other birders while scanning for the Red Necked Grebe I managed to see a certain type of duck which I have not managed to see this year. I am sure you all know what I mean.
Soon found the Red Necked Grebe which was heading for the island about half across the lake, but it did come eventually closer allowing me to take a couple of shots.

Red Necked Grebe at Gailey Reservoir 20 Aug 2011

On the hunt for a mid day snack, watched the Grebe fish for some times

Having a good old wash



Red Necked Grebe checking me out, well I like to think I am worth a look
Ok I will admit I went over board and took quite a few shots, but this is the only the second time I have seen one of these birds (first was at Foremark).

No comments:

Post a Comment