Tuesday 11 December 2012

Rhyl and Rhos 01 Dec 2012

The 1st Dec saw us heading along the North Wales coast with fingers crossed to hopefully see the Desert Wheatear that had turned up at the oasis that is Rhyl by the golf course, well it does offer a Sun Centre.

After missing my turn due to Mr Brain being switched to auto pilot off the A55 we had to turn around but we eventually came to the right spot pulling into the caravan park, the weather was lovely and sunny but a tad on the fresh side to say the least, so wrapping Gem up in her snow suit (well there was snow on the mountains) we headed for the sea wall path. The first birder though we bumped into told us the bad and now typical news for this year that there had been no sign of the bird today, and we would just have to make do with a few Sandling.

Well I quite like Sandling so not a total waste of a journey and I managed to grab a few nice shots from the sea wall with out having to venture on to the beach as I didn't wish to spook the birds. I also got a shot of a Pied Wagtail which when I saw it at first out of the corner of my eye did make me think I had refound my target bird.

The ringed Sandling turned out to have been rung in Iceland in May of this year.






From here it was a on to find a place to have lunch we choose to head for Rhuddlan Castle, which was a good decision as we found a load of birders and photographers enjoying great views of Waxwing.




The last port of call was Rhos for the high tide and hopefully some more wader action in the shape of those lovely dumpy Purple Sandpipers. This was not to be, the rocks by the prom were devoid of any waders, with all the birds over on the break water, a couple of Purple Sandpipers were in amoung the Redshank and Turnstone but no chance of a photo. But there were some fairly tame Rock Pipit on show on the beach.





All was left was to head home via Snugburys to get some Christmas pudding icecream.

No comments:

Post a Comment